Saturday 2 May 2015

Thriving at Sixty


Are you a 'Boomer', out of work, healthy, no dementia, needing regular income?

Are you wondering where all those years of your precious life went?

Welcome to the club!

Personally, I have discovered that most of the businesses started since 2012 in Canada have been started by people over 50. Are you one?

When I found myself in this position a few years ago, I thought I could just go out and get another job. However, much to my chagrin, I discovered that when we are over 50, most of the companies do not want us, and all our wisdom and experience goes unrecognized. We are right back in the "MacDonald's employee" category. All companies want to pay us is $10 an hour!

No, it is not discrimination. It is straight business. Companies want to hire employees who will stay with them long term. They want to find employees who are younger, who won't drive their monthly health premiums up. (Statistics show that the older generations use the extended health programs more than their younger cohorts.)

When I found myself in this situation, at first I was quite lost. I did not know what to do. I still had bills to pay, and no pension. -And like many others in my position, there was little or no marketing budget available to help with my predicament, either. What was I to do?

Did this happen to you too? Have you found yourself stuck in limbo trying to figure out where to turn next?

I have met many people who fit this category. Most of them will not admit that they have been "laid off" their job and cannot find another one. They usually gloss over what really happened. We do this because of embarrassment. We seem to think that there is something wrong with us if we cannot get another job, no matter what age we are. After all, I thought that age was only a number. Right?

Thank goodness for the experiences I had in my life that forced me into learning the tricks of using online platforms to help market my skills and help others do the same.

I also learned that I cannot do it alone. I needed a mentor...actually I had several mentors that I worked with. I cannot share enough how thankful I am for those wonderful people, who were there for me when I needed help. I would never have come this far today without them.

This experience in my life has inspired me to want to help others navigate the "tidal waves" of uncertainty through the gift of a podcast and online marketing tips.

Yes, I meant it when I said that I want to help you surf those tidal waves of building yourself as a business...finding your strengths and showing you how to market yourself on a shoestring budget.

Let's find the best one for you. Click


Christine Till
The LinkedIn Marketing Mentress


No comments:

Post a Comment