Monday 30 November 2015

What do you do when you get "bucked off"?

There are many life lessons learned when you live on a cattle ranch.

One lesson I learned very early on in my life was when I got bucked off a horse for the first time...and many times thereafter for that matter.

How would you feel being tossed 5-6 feet down to the ground and landing smack on your back or your face or your backside. Actually, landing on my backside was the best place of all to land. It might sting for a while, but nothing got broken but my pride.

The first time I went hurling through the air to "bite the dust" so to speak, it hurt! I was so mad at the horse that I was never going to have anything to do with it again. But my wise Dad persuaded me to do differently.

He explained that when we get bucked off, we need to get right back on, or we will never ride a horse again. I asked Dad why that was. He explained that if you get bucked off and then never get right back on again, you will never ride a horse again for fear of getting bucked off again. The whole incident gets blown out of proportion in your mind until you never dare try getting up on a horse again.

So, the solution is to get right back up there and try again.

Thank goodness the first horse I learned to ride was a little black Shetland pony. It wasn't far to fall from one of those horses. I actually thought my little black pony was my "black beauty".

Mom called him 'nipper' and I couldn't understand why? Come to find out many years later that every time she bent over to lift me up on 'Nipper's' back, he would reach around and bite her in the buttocks! So, that was the end of 'Black Beauty'. He was 'Nipper' ever after!

Oops! I digressed!

Similar things to being bucked off can and do happen in business. You can put hours of work into a proposal only to be turned down. It makes you want to quit on the spot, but there is a good lesson to be learned each time we get 'bucked off' a business deal. We learn from it and move forward.

The next time we put a proposal together, we will be much wiser.

Know why some businesses make more money than others?

They write more proposals. It is a law in business according to Christine that "He who writes the most business proposals wins!"

Remember that feeling you get when you succeed. Keep that great feeling in your mind while you are writing those proposals, and you will win!

There is a lot of rejection in running your own business, but the successes make up for it.

Keep getting back on when you get 'bucked off'!

Christine Till

The Marketing Mentress
1-780-904-9557
marketingmentress@gmail.com
Twitter: @mktgmentress



1 comment: