Thursday 25 February 2016

What a Blessing?!

Next to getting married to a wonderful guy...

Being "Fired at Fifty" was the best thing that ever happened to me!

January 4th of 2011, I walked into my office where I had been working as the director of sales and marketing at a senior care organization with my marketing plan in hand, ready for the new year.

I no sooner entered the office than I was invited into the conference room and asked to sit down. I didn't even have my coat off! This was not good.

As my then boss proceeded to tell me that he had kept me on as long as he did because of my work ethic and I was the hardest working person he had ever met, my mind went back to the first six months of working there. I remembered that within the first six months, I had been instrumental in increasing their sales an additional $22K per month.  I remembered that I was the seventh in a long line of sales representatives with that company. I remembered that the company had only been in business for seven years, and I had been there for two and a half of those years.

What does that say about my boss?

I was told that I was being "laid off". But let me tell you that if a company does not have another job for you, you are being "fired"! The words "laid off" are just glossing over the truth.

Well, I thought that I could just go out and get another job. After all I don't present myself as a frump. I don't have dementia. I'm smart.

Out of the myriads of resume's that I sent out, I received four job interviews and one offer at $10/hour! Ugh! I was in shock!

The flood gates opened!

Once I settled down a bit I had a conversation with my eldest son. I did not know what to do. He suggested that I was great at sales and marketing, so why not start a radio show on marketing?

Brilliant!

In 2009 I had started my "Eldercare 911" online radio show for the senior care business. I could just start a marketing show.

Yay!

After some considerable brainstorming, The Marketing Mentress was born!

As I began networking for my business, I discovered that sixty to seventy percent of the people sitting around those tables were bald, had grey hair, or they used a bottle like me. They were in the same position in life as me, fiftyish and out of work!

As I became successful with my LinkedIn marketing and my Marketing Mentress show, I saw a way that I could help others who found themselves in the same place as myself. This is what inspired me to write my book, "Fired at Fifty: Stop looking for work and discover what you were meant to do."

What I was doing with The Marketing Mentress show was branding myself. I was creating huge interest in my brand. People were asking me how I could help them with their businesses.

If I had not been "Fired at Fifty", I would never have written my book. I would never have found a way to help other people struggling to build and brand their own businesses.
Being "Fired at Fifty" was a huge blessing in my life!

If you have found yourself in a position in life where you are struggling with growing your business and getting more customers, you will want to be on our FREE webinar series.

Christine Unterthiner of Pilot Brand and myself have teamed up to help you with your branding and marketing.

The series begins on March 8th and the last episode is June 14th.

Sign up today!

https://siftingthroughthenoise.eventbrite.ca (Registration ends Sunday at 6pm)
Christine Till
The Marketing Mentress

     https://ca.linkedin.com/in/marketingmentress

www.2csuccess.com





No comments:

Post a Comment