Monday 29 August 2016

LinkedIn Tip #58 - How Much Time Do I Need to Spend on My Social Media?

My question back would be, how much money do you want to make?

Let me share a little of my story with you.

Back when I first got started with LinkedIn and online marketing, I was more than just a little timid about the whole idea. Yup! I was scared spitless!

It took me many hours to figure it all out...and I had a LinkedIn coach helping me!

I could see that if I spent all these hours online working on my marketing program, I would soon burn out. I was spending 12-16 hours a day online. But I remind myself that I was also going through a steep learning curve. I had never used any kind of social media in my life. 

All I had ever used a computer for was spreadsheets, word documents and Googling stuff.

Once I figured out a formula to shorten the learning curve and the amount of time I had to spend online, I realized that I was not alone. By this time, I had met many others who had found themselves in the same position as me! They all wanted to know how to leverage LinkedIn for clients and to make some money.

You need some basics to build on and once you have those set up, you can use a auto posting program, like SproutSocial to schedule posts. You spend a couple hours one day a week scheduling, and the rest of the days, you only have to respond to the messages from people.

Just block out time to spend 15-30 minutes once or twice a day. Do this consistently every day, except your 'electronics free Sunday' and you will be able to manage your online marketing systems just fine.

I have discovered that most of the time I had been spending online was being spent socializng and not really keeping business in mind.

My email was also taking inordinate amounts of time as well. I soon became aware of how to scan through them for the ones I needed to attend to right away.

I now receive anywhere from 150 to 300 emails a day. Most of them are blogs. I check them out and if they are something that I would like to continue, I let them roll in, but if I don't need the info, I unsubscribe quickly, so as not to clog my inbox.

The key platform I pay the most attention to is LinkedIn. That is where I get most of my business from, so that is where I need to spend my time.

The average income of people on LinkedIn is now at about $80K US. The average income of executives on LinkedIn is now $150K annually. So where are the people that can afford to buy your stuff as well as that full body massage?

If you are spending more than the 15-30 minutes once or twice a day online, it better be because you are spending it with clients. Otherwise, pick up the phone and start calling your connections on LinkedIn and booking phone chats, Skype calls, and coffee meetings.
You need to spend 80% of your time doing sales.

Yes, you heard me right.

If you are not making the money you would like, check how much time you spend in sales conversations every day.

Keep watching. More LinkedIn tips are in the pipeline.

Christine Till
The Marketing Mentress



No comments:

Post a Comment