Friday 9 December 2016

LinkedIn Tip #78 - How do I keep my competition from viewing my connections?

Are you afraid that your competition will steal your clients from you?

Are you appearing as a witness in court and do not want any of your connections to interfere with your credibility? What if someone views your profile and sees who you are connected to?

Then you will want to hide your connections from view. But how does one do this?

Have you searched through all the buttons and tabs on every page of LinkedIn and still come up empty?

Here's what you can do!

Go to your tiny icon of your headshot in the top right corner of your profile. Hover your mouse over the tiny headshot and you will see a drop-down menu appear.

Scroll down the drop-down menu to "Privacy and Settings" and click on that. You will then see what I refer to as your "back office"  for LinkedIn.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page where you will find "Go to previous version of settings". Click on that phrase.

LinkedIn will ask you to sign in again, so you will need your email and password for your LinkedIn handy.

Once inside, you will see four tabs on the left side of the page. Click on "Select who can see your connections" located under the "Privacy" tab. It is the fourth item down under the "Privacy Controls" column.

Click on the words " Select who can see your connections". Your choices are "Only You" or "Your Connections". Select "Only You".

Now you know how to hide your connections from your competition. Well most of your competition. The only ones who will be able to see your connections will be people who share your first connections, or have endorsed, or recommended you. 

Thanks to Sid Clark for helping me clarify exactly how this setting works.

Personally, I have never worried about who views my connections. If I have been doing my job right, my connections will be loyal to me. It is all about building strong relationships with your LinkedIn network. People still like to do business with those they know, like and trust.

Do you have a question about LinkedIn that has been puzzling you? Send me an email: marketingmentress@gmail.com.

Like I have said before, it is not all about me. It is about how many people I can help.

Make it a great day!

Christine Till
The Marketing Mentress


No comments:

Post a Comment