Thursday 20 July 2017

What's with all these Platforms Inviting us to get Referrals?

Have you been invited to connect on different platforms in hopes of receiving new leads for your business?

Why are we online anyway? Humbly speaking from my standpoint, I am online for business purposes only. Of course in doing so, I also realize that I need to be somewhat social at the same time.

A few years ago, I joined Referral Key to check it out, because I was receiving many invitations to join it. And I am still receiving requests to connect with people. I have yet to receive any real tangible business from it.

Recently, I have been inundated with invitations to join Alignable. For quite a while, I just deleted all the invitations, because I thought it was just like the first one. Then I learned from a fellow online marketing expert that it was connected with LinkedIn in some way. So I joined and set up my profile.

What happened next was beyond my wildest imagination!

Suddenly my email was crammed with messages from people accepting my request to join Alignable. Many were positive, but a lot were not.

After one of these precious connections of mine stood up in a networking meeting this week telling everyone that he was very upset with me for inviting him to join Alignable, I suddenly realized that this was not what I expected to happen.

So I changed my passwords for Google and LinkedIn and deleted my Alignable profile.

There are many different programs being developed to help us get "more and better leads than we could with LinkedIn or Facebook."  In my humble experience, they are just a nuisance.

In my humble opinion, anyway.

Please accept my sincere apology for dragging you into this platform. If you receive any invitations to join, be careful...you will be inundated with emails and many of your connections that are automatically invited will be very upset with you.

Christine Till


The Marketing Mentress



2 comments:

  1. Thanks Christine.I started getting requests from people who were sending to an old email. Deleted

    ReplyDelete